Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Afraid of the Dark

When the lights turned out last night, I started crying. I am afraid of the dark, but the person with whom I was sharing space with does not sleep with lights on, and he has already been accommodating by agreeing to let me keep a fan running (I also cannot, let me repeat, cannot sleep in silence). The lights went out, and I closed my eyes, because for some reason if I close my eyes tight, it doesn't feel as scary. Then I started crying.

I believe there has got to be something symbolic about me feeling safer while closing my eyes while it's pitch black.  It makes no logical sense - it's just as dark.  But for some reason, in my child brain, if I don't see the monsters, then they aren't there. My grown-up brain knows better.

If I don't open my eyes and face what is in front of me, then I will be stuck with my eyes closed forever. I won't be able to see the sun come up. I know this. But for the time being, I just can't seem to open my eyes long enough to let them adjust to the loss of light. I cried more.

How does one keep their eyes open long enough to adjust when it is so scary? I am afraid I am going to explode with grief. Like there is just too much to face - it feels better under the covers with my eyes closed tightly, body clenched, and breath held. Dearest reader, do we ever grow up? Are we ever without fear?

I think I'll go back under the covers for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment