Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Children Remind Me of Our Humanity

As a teacher, I see all kind of behavior from children. They hit, they scream, they cry, and they can sometimes be generally awful creatures. Today, however, students in my class, reminded me that we can be so wonderful and kind.

I have a student who is fairly intellectually challenged. Today, he was crying on the playground. This kiddo had only cried one other time, and when he cries, my world stops. I mean, he is so happy all of the time! So it is very unusual to see him sad. I asked him what was wrong. He very timidly stated that his feelings got hurt. The innocence in his eyes, and the tears that streamed down his face showed that the pain he felt was real and sharp.

I took him in my arms, and felt his pain along with him. I told him that I was sorry that his feelings were hurt. I held him for a moment and then asked him if he wanted to play or stand with me. He chose to play. Not before telling me, "I need to wipe away my tears." I helped him dry his eyes with the sleeve of my shirt, and he then bumbled off.

As I watched him walk away, only moments later were little friends flocking over to check on him. One little guy put his arm around him, and I heard him say, "It's OK, let's go play." Another little girl went to him, waited until she got his eyes and looked purely into them and genuinely asked "Are you, OK?"These little people, all caring for this wounded soul. Truly, almost every child checked in with him, patted him on the back, gave him a hug, smiled at him. They took care of him.

My heart melted with adoration, pride, and warmth, for the simple sweetness of children. These little ones displayed such compassion and empathy that I rarely see in adults, and they did it without prompting, without pride, without wanting anything in return. They did it from a place of unbridled love.

We could all learn from them.









1 comment:

  1. a great read, and a really nice reminder. thanks amy.

    ReplyDelete